Thursday, December 10, 2009

Grilling the help

I called this afternoon to ask Glenn Peters a question. Clarissa, who I gather is the EWI corporate receptionist, answered the phone. She was perfectly happy to pass me right along to Glenn - and I interrupted her doing so. I asked:

Q: "How long have you been with the company?"
A: "About a month and a half."

Q: "How did you decide to work with EWI?"
A: "They sort of pulled me out of a hat."

Q: "What do you think of it as a place to work?"
A: "They have this integrity thing going on."

Q: "Really? What do you mean by that?"
A: "Well, I think these guys know what they are talking about. I am trying to keep my ears open. And I've started doing some reading on my own."

Q: "Can you tell me more about the people?"
A: "A lot of these guys already have businesses of their own. They are in here because they want to be here. A bunch of them have been around a long time."

It has been my experience that often the receptionist is both in the know and has a pretty good sense of how people act when nobody else is looking. No, I have not data to support my assertions. And I personally rely on admins to get a feel for organizations and their culture.

Don't take my word for it though. Call 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment